New Poll: Support High for Canada to Offset Russian Gas
● A new Leger poll conducted for SecondStreet.org shows 72% of Canadians think our country should export more oil and gas so the world can stop buying from Russia
● Canadians overwhelmingly disagree with Ottawa’s claim that there’s no business case to export natural gas to Europe
A new poll commissioned by think tank SecondStreet.org shows that Canadians continue to overwhelmingly support the idea of Canada developing and exporting more natural gas and oil in light of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The poll also shows Canadians are more likely to believe industry rather than the federal government when it comes to the financial viability of exporting natural gas to Europe.
The online poll was conducted by Leger for SecondStreet.org between September 30 – October 2, 2022 and included 1,535 Canadians.
“Developments around alternative energy sources are exciting for consumers, but studies suggest natural gas and oil will be used for decades to come,” said SecondStreet.org President Colin Craig. “Policy makers would be wise to consider the positive role that Canada could play not only in displacing Russian oil and gas, but how the enormous tax revenues from such sales could be used to help develop technology to reduce emissions.”
Key highlights include:
- 72% of Canadians support the idea of Canada developing and exporting more oil and gas resources so the world doesn’t have to buy from Russia. Those who strongly support (49%) this option greatly outnumbered those who strongly oppose (6%) the idea.
- While overall support has seen a small drop since SecondStreet.org asked this question in March 2022 (78%), directly after the invasion, a majority of Canadians support the option across the country and among both men and women.
- Canadians are three times more likely to side with industry (54%) rather than the federal government (16%) when asked about whether there is a business case for exporting natural gas to Europe or if the problem is related to government barriers.
“Imagine if the world had a choice,” added Craig. “Buy Russian oil and gas and their government would continue to use the money to buy tanks and rockets or you could buy from Canada and the government would use some of the money to help develop technology to reduce emissions.”
To view the poll results – click here
You can help us continue to research and tell stories about this issue by making a donation or sharing this content with your friends. Be sure to sign up for our updates too!